Skip to main content

Smile Makers

wikipedia.org
“My name is Gio, and I’m confined by sadness.”

“Hi Gio,” his group responded in unison.

“Today marks 3 months since I began my journey back to happiness, so I’d like to tell my story to anyone who will… well, I just have to tell it.”

“Gio, I just want you to know,” the group leader said, gesturing to the group, “how proud of you we all are. You are positively beaming.” Gio had no response. He didn’t feel radiant. The group leader went on.

“Even in just these 3 months, I’ve seen so much sadness leave you. You’re working hard, and it shows. You’re turning that frown…” he looked back at the group.

“Upside down,” they all chanted in unison.

“Go ahead, Gio,” said the smiling group leader, “tell us your story.”

“My dog meant everything to me. Wherever I went, he came too. I snuck him onto buses, into hotels, restaurants. It didn’t matter. He was my best friend. When his health started to fail, I made an appointment to have him put down so he wouldn’t suffer.

“Everything was ready to go when my dad stepped in and offered to keep the dog at his house just a little longer. What could I say? I didn’t want him to die, so I let it happen. My dad promised that when the time came, he would put him down. He said my sadness was too much for him to bear.”

“That’s right,” chimed the group leader. “The price of love is pain, and pain doesn't bring happiness to anyone.” The group nodded in agreement. Gio, hesitant, continued.

“A few months later I asked my dad how my dog was doing, and he told me he was gone. I asked how everything went. He said he didn’t know because my mom went and dropped him off at the pound herself.”

The group was silent.

“My parents didn't want to feel said, so they abandoned my dog to die alone in a cold, strange cage without any friends or family around. That’s when the sadness first struck, and I’ve been struggling to put it behind me ever since.”

The group leader finally broke the silence. “Oh Gio, are you trying to break my heart with that story?” he joked, still wearing a wide-eyed smile.

“No, I mean, I…”

“No worries, hon. If it were a problem for me I would’ve stopped you a long time ago, but I’m keeping this frown…” again he looked back at the group, “...upside down.”

“Gio, thank you for your story,” he continued, gesturing toward an empty seat. “Now I have an important announcement to make. You all know the show Smile Makers, right? Well, they’ve kindly donated a few tickets to Sadness Anonymous so we could go and see their next show! I’m not supposed to say this, but a little birdie told me one of you might even be a contestant.” Some people in the group smiled.

“So that’ll be this Friday, plus it counts for 2 meetings, so you won't want to miss it.” He glanced down at his watch. “Looks like it’s time to wrap up. I’ll go ahead and lead the pledge if you’ll all say it with me.” The group recited in unison.

My mind is a paradise when I let the sun shine through.

When illusions of pain give way to treasures of joy, the world is brighter for everyone.

It’s up to me to choose happiness.

Afterward, a group member opened the box of cookies he’d brought for the mix and mingle. People chatted a while in the grey brick building before slowly trickling out one by one. Gio had said his goodbyes and was on his way out when the group leader approached him.

“Hey there, pouty,” he said, gently slapping Gio’s back. “I wanted to see if you'd given any more thought to getting the enhancement.”

Gio sighed, looking at the group leader whose curly hair was balding on top. His cheeks were plump and red, like Santa Claus in his 40s. “You know,” Gio said, “I’m still not sure. I’d rather get through it naturally but if things don’t improve after a few more months, I’ll reconsider.”

“Hey, it’s up to you. Obviously we’ll cover the cost. Once you’re ready to let some sunshine in, we’ll be waiting for you.”

“Is everything okay?” Gio asked. “You said during the meeting that I was doing better. Does it seem like I really need the enhancement?”

“Yes…” the leader slowly exhaled, “yes, you are doing better, but you’re not in a vacuum, Gio. Your behavior affects others, especially the weaker ones, and until you abandon sadness completely, you bring us down with you.”

Gio nodded. “Well, thanks for the info. I promise I’ll think about it.”

“That’s all I need to hear, Gio,” he cackled. “See you Friday! Keep smiling!”

“Keep… smiling,” Gio choked out.

As he walked home that night, he saw friendly, grinning faces everywhere. He passed a bar where every patron looked so happy. A billboard above showed smiling models in a blissful embrace. Cars went past where drivers and passengers laughed together. Everyone else seemed to enjoy their lives while Gio sulked about the past, sifting through bittersweet joy as he recalled years spent with his dog.

In the city of Nemosine, pets were increasingly rare. The price of love is pain, they said, and pain was so taboo that it bordered on illegal. As a child, Gio heard of people who couldn’t overcome their sadness. They eventually disappeared, and many were never seen again. Those who did return were remarkably happier. It was like they never had a bad day again.

As soon as Gio got home, he fell onto his couch and began to ponder what was to come on Friday. Smile Makers was an entertainment phenomenon—everyone watched it. While it wasn’t Gio’s favorite, he couldnt deny feeling relieved when a sad contestant would transform into a much happier person in the space of a few short minutes. He grabbed a beer from the fridge. At least he could smile about that.

Friday morning, the group met up in the parking lot to load up. Gio was relieved that the group leader rode in the other van, no doubt spreading his endless cheer. Once they arrived at the studio, each person received a personalized ticket. A few minutes after they sat down, a voice boomed overhead.

“From the studios in downtown Nemosine, it’s time to turn that frown…”

“Upside down!” screamed the audience.

“It’s Smile Makers! And now, your host. Chaaaaad Bilcock!” Bilcock, the show's heartthrob host, walked to center stage with a long-stem microphone.

“Hey, hey, hey, how we doin' on this big, bright, and b-b-b-beautiful Friday morning in Nemosine, huh?” he said, swaying back and forth. “I’m feelin’ happy, and I mean happy. If my smile were any bigger, I’d need a second mouth and some dentures, which leads me to introduce our wonderful panel. Let’s give a round of applause and a warm welcome to Woody Spinder, board-certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon, Diane Ratcliffe, nationally acclaimed psychomnetrist, and Nemosine’s own warbling sweetheart, Ashleyyyy Simpkins!”

The crowd was going nuts. Bilcock spoke into the microphone again.

“And now, that special moment you’ve all been waiting for—get your tickets out, everyone." Spotlights circled throughout the seats as the music grew low.

"Today's lucky contestant is sitting in Section B, Row 11.” The numbers were in Gio’s row. It always seemed close. “Ladies and gentlemen, let's hear it for the man sitting in seat 4, Astalgio Fittipaldi!”

The crowd cheered while Gio sat stunned. The guys next to him patted him on the back and nudged him out of his seat. Gio's spine felt hot as he walked down the aisle. The applause drowned out all his thoughts as Bilcock pointed to a seat. Gio sat down and the applause ceased.

“So, Astalgio Fittipaldi,”Bilcock said.

“Gio. Call me Gio.”

“Gio. Got it,” he grinned. “You ready for the smile makeover of your life?”

“Yeah, I guess so,” said Gio, tilting his head a little.

“You guess so?" Bilcock looked out at the crowd with a big smile. "That sounds like a frown we’re gonna turn…” he pointed to the audience.

“Upside down!”

“So Gio, the drill goes like this. First, you’re gonna tell Miss Simpkins here about the best things happening in your life right now. Drs. Spinder and Ratcliffe'll see how they can make your smile beam even brighter so we can all get some of that glowing Italian pizazz. Sound good?”

“Yeah, su—Yeah, it sounds good.” Ashley Simpkins began her questions.

“Gio, what was the happiest part of your day today?”

“Waking up, of course.” The audience laughed. Maybe it wouldn’t be too bad, Gio thought. Maybe he’d get through this.

“That's great, Gio!” she said. “What’s the happiest thought you had this morning?"

Gio hesitated. “I don’t really remember,” he said, scratching his head.

“Don’t remember?” she laughed, covering her mouth with her hand. “Doctors? Are those heart monitors picking up anything or do we just have a sack of sulk over there?”

“I was pretty excited to come here,” Gio blurted out.

“How about we try an easier question? What’s the happiest memory you’ve had this year?”

A lump swelled in Gio’s throat. His thoughts spun out of control. Don't say it, he thought.

“My dog.” The doctors shifted in their chairs while the audience cooed at his response. Simpkins’ hand patted her chest.

“Awww, that’s adorable. So rare to find a man with a dog these days, am I right ladies?" she nodded to the audience, winking. "So, where’s your dog now?”

Gio tried to smile. "Home. He's at home." The audience wasn't buying it. Dr. Ratcliffe whispered something to Chad Bilcock, who flicked on his microphone again.

“You sure about that last answer, Gio? Dr. Ratcliffe here says you had all the telltale signs of a liar.” Gio’s eyes went to the floor. “Why don’t you tell us what really happened to your dog?”

“Fine,” Gio said, fighting to keep his composure. “He died.” The crowd went silent.

“Whoa, easy there! That's not the kind of thing we hope to hear on Smile Makers," said Bilcock. "I'm sorry to hear that Gio, but surely you knew that would happen when you got him, didn’t you?” Gio couldn’t say anything more. He was trying too hard to fight back tears.

“Well, doctors,” continued Bilcock, “I think we’ve got a smile to make—” Bilcock turned to the camera, “right after these messages.”

"Take 30," a cameraman called out from the dark. Bilcock and the doctors walked over to Gio. “Look Gio, we’re only trying to help. You don’t have to lie to us.”

“I’m really sorry,” said Gio. “I’m just not ready for the enhancement. I'm not ready to move on quite yet. Please, I just... just let me feel this a little longer.”

“It’s not us you have to worry about, Gio,” said Dr. Spinder with a grin. “You showed sadness on national television. If you don’t get the enhancement here, now, you bring us down with you. I don’t think they will like that, if you know what I mean.” He stared at Gio a moment. “Is that a risk you want to take?”

Gio’s breathing quickened. He buried his face in his hands and bawled out, “please don’t make me do this!”

The cameramen yelled out, “We’re back in 10!”

“Places, everyone,” called out Bilcock. Gio’s eyes were red with tears when the cameras began rolling again.

"Welcome back to Smile Makers. Before the break, Gio Fittipaldi here told us about his heartbreak from losing his dog. I think we can do something about it. Don't you folks?" The audience cheered some more.

Bilcock addressed the panel. “Ashley, what are you thinking for Gio here?”

“Enhancement all the way, Chad. Gio’s a good guy with a big heart. He deserves happiness, and I, for one, wanna see this guy smiling.” The audience cheered.

“How about you, Dr. Spinder?”

“I’ve got just the thing for Gio. We’ll fit him with a floating, fastener-free orbicularis suspender so he can wear that beautiful smile all day long without tiring out his face.”

“And finally,” said Bilcock, “Dr. Ratcliffe?” She responded with stern, serious comment.

“Gio, your life can take a turn for the better with the Limbic dopareceptor enhancement. It’s a non-invasive procedure—we use magnets, it only takes seconds—and then all that sadness you’re lugging around, slopping all over your friends, it’ll be gone, like it never happened. I see no reason why you shouldn’t have the enhancement.”

Bilcock spoke again. “And what about our audience? Should we give Gio something to smile about?” They cheered wildly. “I think that settles it.” Bilcock walked toward his contestant.

“Gio, are you ready?” Gio couldn’t bring himself to look up from the floor. His chair was being guided across the stage to the other end, which was decorated with tool trays and bright lights. Gio sobbed.

“Ooookay Gio! The Limbic enhancement can’t work with you awake. Whenever you’re ready, look up into that light above and your worries will be erased for good. We’re gonna turn that frown…”

“Upside down!” the audience cheered.

“Okay folks, count down with me!”

10… 9… 8…

Gio remembered when he first saw his puppy—a graham cracker-colored fur ball with 3 little black dots for eyes and a nose.

7… 6… 5…

He remembered all the days when his companion followed him around the house, or the nights when he slept vigilantly at the foot of his bed.

4… 3… 2…

His dog, who would never leave Gio’s side, even if at risk of injury.

1! The audience screamed. Gio's stared straight ahead at them.

“I’m sorry, Ginger. I’m so, so sorry,” he whispered through tears. It was time. He looked up.

The procedure was completed within minutes. Gio awoke to Ashley Simpkins nudging his shoulder as she showed him off to the crowd. The audience cheered as they saw the change in Gio. They could hardly recognize him! He looked so happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kim Kardashian Thinks Nobody Wants to Work Anymore

When life sucks, count on elites to toss another log onto the fire of discontent. Recently, it was culture queen Kim Kardhasian who earned a spot on the “let them eat cake” list of worst things ever said.  “Get your fucking ass up and work. It seems like nobody wants to work anymore,” she was quoted in Variety Magazine. It’s nothing we’re not used to, but usually people who like  Rick & Morty aren’t this eager to parrot the opinions of their Dr. Laura Schlesinger era parents. And for me, this one hurt.  “I have the best advice for women in business,” Kim Kardashian says. “Get your f--king ass up and work. It seems like nobody wants to work these days.” https://t.co/HuddEEXmoM pic.twitter.com/KJCIlaVX3S — Variety (@Variety) March 9, 2022 Over the years, Kim K has shown up here and there for important causes. She met with President Donald Trump to pass the First Step Act that would circumvent mandatory minimum sentences. She used her Twitter to mention climate change dur

How I Eliminated 7 dB of Noise Using Moving Blankets

Do musicians spend way too much on gear? Is water wet? We buy all this specialized stuff that doesn't make sense to anyone else, but to our sensitive little ears, it's everything. For the home studio enthusiast, this is nowhere more true than in noise control. Recently, I decided to give my garage studio a noise makeover for these two reasons: better recording quality and happier neighbors.  My garage measures about 30' long by 12' wide, with 8' ceilings. Even with some acoustic panels, the bare drywall bounces sound everywhere and can make recordings muddy and neighbors salty. I needed a solution. My fancy garage studio My First Attempt Using Carpet Squares Since the garage door is the last line of noise suppression, I figured I'd start by softening the reverberations from off its thin metal. By some crazy luck, I scored a bunch of 2' x 2' carpet squares for under $20. I cut them into quarters and attached them to the door. The long road where

Does Raising the Minimum Wage Really Benefit the Economy?

Whenever D.C. needs a distraction, they turn to one of two scapegoats: equal rights or the minimum wage. As of April 2021, it’s the latter. While each one is an important topic on its own, partisan stigma spins them so far into rhetorical solipsism that facts become an afterthought. So *cracks beer* it’s time to take a deep dive into whether or not raising the minimum wage is a good idea.  All the money you don't have Stating What’s What in Plain Terms Does raising the minimum wage help the economy? Since “helping the economy” means a million things, let's clarify. An ideal economy gives each person the best chance of reaching the “American Dream.” While the American Dream is a myth , its ideology has been internalized by my generation and those before me. As I understand it, successful economies let people earn money, have kids, buy a house, and retire. Work hard, die rich. Shed debt, accrue wealth.  Yes, it's an overgeneralization, but we gotta start somewhere,