Skip to main content

On Trying


My reading list these days suggests that I haven't been all that creative. On my nightstand sits a copy of Introduction to Marketing, Ogilvy on Advertising, Getting to Yes, Interviewing for Journalists, and even Merriam-Webster's Vocabulary Builder to try and remedy my piss poor vocabulary. I bought a new thesaurus. I bought a book on grammar. I even started one of those Bill O'Reilly books my cousin suggested. Didn't last long though. All this reading is in an effort to create better stuff. 

Sometimes I sit and watch TV, drink a few beers, and remain in a state of self-sabotage for hours before suddenly, out of nowhere, something of inter-dimensional importance hammers into my thoughts. It could come from a TV ad, the static on the radio, or a speck on the wall. There's a question so profoundly stated back to myself that I feel like I'll erupt if I don't write it down immediately. It's a truth, and I know it, and until tomorrow morning once I've forgotten it, this clear beam of acute relevance will be a new axiom in my life.

For me, this is the process of creation—listening to your inner voice whenever, wherever, however it decides to speak. It's why I keep a notebook on hand at all times. You may feel inspired as you're hurrying to the bathroom, and if that hammer crack is ignored, there goes the spark, out into infinity, back into the radio waves, never to return. 

If you do too much thinking, churning and rationalizing and justifying and judging its merit, you dull its original shimmer. This idea won't ever happen again. Somehow, you know this deep down inside.
You don't have to be a genius to make a genius work of art. You've likely shared thoughts with your favorite artists, and it's probably why their works send shivers down your spine. You bond with them because they've been exactly where you are now, and they created something at that moment. Artists take a shapeless, invisible energy and alchemize a physical object or sensation.

Some masterpieces are not profound. An artist could establish an emotion so common that we've forgotten it completely. Robert Browning's "Love in a Life" makes me feel like someone's in the room with me when I read it. In that freeze of time, I know what Robert Browning looks like. He gazes at me through "yon looking glass" in a timeless moment. His thoughts are so clear that I can't see anything but the truth. 

I catch the glimmer in Jay Gatsby's, and the dried blood and tears on my skin in Alice in Chains' Jar of Flies.

The greats throughout history aren't original or even masterful—they just speak with clarity, whether through their mouths or some instrument. Jimi Hendrix didn't second guess notes. Roberto Clemente didn't doubt his read of the field. Debbie Harry didn't ask which way the wind was blowing before floating her lyrics on its wings.

All the books we read, the music we hear, the TV we watch—these are the influences that shape our responses to the future. However creativity strikes you—whether through words, music, ideas, maths, predictions, forgivings—they're all thoughts any of us could conceive. We all have thoughts, but when you try to manifest your response to those thoughts, it will be in a way the world has never seen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kim Kardashian Thinks Nobody Wants to Work Anymore

When life sucks, count on elites to toss another log onto the fire of discontent. Recently, it was culture queen Kim Kardhasian who earned a spot on the “let them eat cake” list of worst things ever said.  “Get your fucking ass up and work. It seems like nobody wants to work anymore,” she was quoted in Variety Magazine. It’s nothing we’re not used to, but usually people who like  Rick & Morty aren’t this eager to parrot the opinions of their Dr. Laura Schlesinger era parents. And for me, this one hurt.  “I have the best advice for women in business,” Kim Kardashian says. “Get your f--king ass up and work. It seems like nobody wants to work these days.” https://t.co/HuddEEXmoM pic.twitter.com/KJCIlaVX3S — Variety (@Variety) March 9, 2022 Over the years, Kim K has shown up here and there for important causes. She met with President Donald Trump to pass the First Step Act that would circumvent mandatory minimum sentences. She used her Twitter to mention climate change dur

How I Eliminated 7 dB of Noise Using Moving Blankets

Do musicians spend way too much on gear? Is water wet? We buy all this specialized stuff that doesn't make sense to anyone else, but to our sensitive little ears, it's everything. For the home studio enthusiast, this is nowhere more true than in noise control. Recently, I decided to give my garage studio a noise makeover for these two reasons: better recording quality and happier neighbors.  My garage measures about 30' long by 12' wide, with 8' ceilings. Even with some acoustic panels, the bare drywall bounces sound everywhere and can make recordings muddy and neighbors salty. I needed a solution. My fancy garage studio My First Attempt Using Carpet Squares Since the garage door is the last line of noise suppression, I figured I'd start by softening the reverberations from off its thin metal. By some crazy luck, I scored a bunch of 2' x 2' carpet squares for under $20. I cut them into quarters and attached them to the door. The long road where

Does Raising the Minimum Wage Really Benefit the Economy?

Whenever D.C. needs a distraction, they turn to one of two scapegoats: equal rights or the minimum wage. As of April 2021, it’s the latter. While each one is an important topic on its own, partisan stigma spins them so far into rhetorical solipsism that facts become an afterthought. So *cracks beer* it’s time to take a deep dive into whether or not raising the minimum wage is a good idea.  All the money you don't have Stating What’s What in Plain Terms Does raising the minimum wage help the economy? Since “helping the economy” means a million things, let's clarify. An ideal economy gives each person the best chance of reaching the “American Dream.” While the American Dream is a myth , its ideology has been internalized by my generation and those before me. As I understand it, successful economies let people earn money, have kids, buy a house, and retire. Work hard, die rich. Shed debt, accrue wealth.  Yes, it's an overgeneralization, but we gotta start somewhere,